Read all the instructions in the Epson C831 user guide before
If you find that the printout is unexpectedly faint or that dots are missing, you may be able to identify the problem by checking the print head nozzles. You can check the print head nozzles from your computer using the Nozzle Check utility in the printer driver or from the printer using the control panel buttons.
When you print a nozzle check pattern, use paper with a width of 116.8 mm (4.6 inches) or more.
Using the Nozzle Check Utility for Windows
Follow these steps to use the Nozzle Check utility.
1. Make sure that no lights are indicating errors.
2. Make sure that paper is attached to the tractor unit.
3. Access the printer driver. See “Using the Printer Driver” on page 27.
4. Click the Utility tab, and then click the Nozzle Check button.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Using the Control Panel
Follow these steps to check the print head nozzles using the control panel.
1. Make sure that paper is attached to the tractor unit.
2. While pressing the Load/Eject button, press the On button until the On light flashes.
Below are two sample nozzle check patterns.
Compare the quality of the printed check page with the sample shown below. If there are no print quality problems, such as gaps or missing segments in the test lines, the print head is fine.
Cleaning the Print Head
If you find that the printout is unexpectedly faint or that dots are missing, you may be able to solve these problems by cleaning the print head, which ensures that the nozzles are delivering ink properly. You can clean the print head from your computer using the Head Cleaning utility in the printer driver or from the printer using the control panel buttons.
- Because print head cleaning uses ink from all cartridges, clean the print head only if print quality declines; for example, if the printout is blurry, the color is incorrect or missing, or the vertical lines are pronouncedly misaligned.
- Use the Nozzle Check utility first to confirm that the print head needs to be cleaned. This saves ink.
- When ink is low, you may not be able to clean the print head. When ink is expended, you cannot clean the print head. Replace the appropriate ink cartridge first.
For more information on Epson printers, call 1-800-446-1991.